Thursday, January 24, 2013

First OB Appointment

We got to see our little Nemo swimming away again at Monday’s OB appointment. I don’t really like the way they do the u/s there. The tech had the screen facing her the whole time while she was doing her thing then at the very end, turned it around so we could see. At least she turned on the sound quickly so we could hear the heartbeat. That never gets old.

When she did finally show us the screen, there was an ultra-wiggly baby with fingers! I don’t know if their machine picks up more definition, but we definitely didn’t see fingers 3 days before. It was the neatest thing.

After the scan, we met with the OB and loved her! She’s younger and was really nice, not uptight, doctor-y like I’m used to. It’s refreshing! She’s referring me to an MFM because of my thyroid so I’ll be getting monitored a little more closely throughout the pregnancy. I’m very cool with that. My first appt with them will be in a few weeks. I asked her about the NT scan (she was impressed I knew my stuff) and the MFM will be handling that as well, which takes place around 12 weeks.

There’s a simple blood test called MaterniT21 you can have around 10 weeks that tells you if the baby has any genetic abnormalities, for example, Down’s Syndrome, but it also tells you the baby’s sex. I doubt I’ll be offered it since I’m younger than 35 and don’t have a history of genetic disorders in my family, but it would be so nice to have peace of mind AND to know the baby’s sex that early. It’s a very new test, started within the past year or so, and I think it will eventually take the place of the CVS or amnio, but it’s also controversial because some believe it’ll lead to a higher percentage of abortions.

I went ahead and told my boss. His initial response was “ok, let me just sit back and take this in for a second.” Not really what I was expecting, but he went on to quickly say he was of course very excited for us. He knew about the fertility treatments – 16 months’ worth of doctor appointments would have been cause for concern without an explanation – so he was obviously aware of the end goal. I think he’s just a little nervous to have to figure out what he’s going to do without me while I’m out on maternity leave. I don’t really play a vital role, but I provide a lot of data and am the administrator for several programs that he has no clue how to handle so it’s going to be an interesting adjustment.

I got my Doppler in today and was able to find the heartbeat after about 20 minutes of searching! It's going to be so reassuring to hear the baby's beating heart any time I feel like it. 

I’m finally starting to relax and be hopeful that this is going to work out. I can’t wait to tell the rest of our family. I’m holding off because I have a feeling some of my family won’t be able to keep from spreading the news before I’m ready for the world to know so I’ll probably wait to tell them until after the NT scan. My grandparents are going to be over the moon. I can’t wait to see their reactions!

No comments:

Post a Comment