Thursday, November 29, 2012

About those follicles.

They are some estrogen producing machines!

Let’s talk estrogen (E2). You can expect your E2 to be at least 200 for every mature follicle with immature ones giving off less. Last cycle I had a great 19mm and a few smaller ones. My E2 was around 350. Sounds about right.

Today my E2 was 1804!

I’m freaking out just a bit. I know that doesn’t mean I have 9 mature follicles. Dr. V thinks I have 3 with potential. I specifically remember my largest one being 16.5, which is technically immature, so I wasn’t expecting to trigger yet, but since I have so many and my E2 is on up there, he wants me to trigger tonight. The trigger will give them all a little bit of a boost so all 3 could possible mature by the time the IUI rolls around.

IUI #5 is Saturday. He gave me a 15% chance of twins and a 4% chance of high-order multiples (3+). I truly don’t think all 3 will catch up so I’m not worried. Even if they do, I don't have the best success rates IRregardless. (I secretly mock anyone who says "irregardless" in seriousness. It's "regardless," people.)

I’m a little frustrated because we changed my trigger from hCG to Lupron after discovering I’m a slow hCG metabolizer, but today he wants me to use the hCG. Says he can control things better with it, whatever that means. 

But I’m pissed because when I called my specialty pharmacy to reorder meds, they told me my refill for Lupron wasn’t due yet. So at my monitoring appointment 3 days ago, I relayed that info to my nurse and said if all else fails, I can just order the hCG knowing it’ll give me false positives. She specifically said no, I had to order Lupron, even if it meant paying out of pocket for it. Luckily, by then the refill was due and I only had to pay my $110 co-pay. 

NOW because my doc decides to change the plan all willy-nilly like, I have to pay $200 at a local compound pharmacy instead of the usual $60. So that’s $310 for something that should have only cost me $60.

I don't care about the money. But he knew I had 17 follicles on CD6 and that there was a chance this would happen. If he's not comfortable doing the Lupron with a lot of follicles, don't make me order it. If there's a chance he'd switch and do hCG, just have me do the hCG from the get-go knowing it takes longer to get out of my system so if my beta comes back at 2, we know it's the trigger. It's not rocket science.

No comments:

Post a Comment