Saturday, December 8, 2012

So this is what hope feels like?

A lot has happened since I last posted so this will probably get long.

I’ve wrote so many entries and emailed them to myself so I could upload them at home, only to forget and never upload them. They’re just sitting in my inbox, outdated and irrelevant.

6dpIUI today and I’m FINALLY starting to feel a bit better. I’ve been in pretty decent pain the last several days. I only had 17 follicles so it wasn’t OHSS, but it was uncomfortable nonetheless. Heaviness, pressure, gained about 5lbs in 3 days, when I peed it felt like as my bladder was emptying, a noose was tightening around my uterus. Not UTI-ish, I’ve had those, this was definitely ute-related.

It’s been much better the last couple days. The smallest bit of gas is still sending remarkably painful shockwaves through my belly but other than that, it’s manageable. I never called my doctor because, frankly, I never want to go back to that clinic for check-ups or monitoring.

But I haven’t told y’all about that yet, have I? I did, but it’s one of those phantom entries that never got posted.

As we were sitting in the clinic’s parking lot, downing chicken biscuits, waiting for Jason’s sample to be prepped for the IUI (131mil post wash!), it seems my husband had a bit of a revelation. He’s fed up with the clinic. He’s fed up with Dr. V. And we’re done. 

Oh happy day!!

We’ve had problems with the clinic since we first started going. I’ve been wanting to get a 2nd opinion for quite some time but the next closest doctor is over 3 hours away. I couldn’t justify that drive, especially if Jason wasn’t fully on-board. But I think this last screw up with me over-stimming and the crapola with the meds sent him over his limit.

With that decision being made, it felt so good sitting in the waiting room knowing this was the last time I’d be there for anything more than a blood draw. Even the two couples on the other end of the room talking ever-so-loudly about Star Wars and Tesla didn’t bother me. Maybe it’s because I’m a nerd and could’ve easily joined in the conversation.

So we scheduled a phone consult with Dr. S in Dallas. Two ladies in my IRL support group have gotten pregnant with him and they highly recommended him.

The consult was yesterday and it honestly could not have gone better. I was in near tears by the end of the conversation because I felt so much more hopeful in that half hour we spent talking with him than I ever have with Dr. V. Even Jason has commented more than once about how well it went.

He had already looked over all my charts and knew my history. He confirmed that we are in the Unexplained category since my PCOS is "corrected" now that the meds make me ovulate.

He basically told me I'm wasting money with injects and IUI because I responded fine to oral meds and Jason's counts are incredible so there's no reason for those. He's having a NK cell assay run and I'm sending him a copy of my HSG photos so he can make sure nothing was missed there. 

We brought up our religious concerns about IVF and he was very sensitive to that. He offered an option that Jason is completely comfortable with so we still have that avenue to explore when we're ready! He made sure to make us aware that it's all about when WE feel comfortable moving to that step. 

I'm almost in tears again writing that. I honestly thought this was the end of the road for us. Jason and I had a huge discussion about everything a couple nights ago and he was worried I was obsessing too much over everything and it was dominating my life. He said he could see in my eyes that I felt defeated. 

I did feel defeated. I was obsessing. I thought this was it for us and it was eating me up. We would've moved on to adoption and truth be told, we still may, and I'm okay with that. But I still had, I still have, a strong desire to have a biological child. Now we can keep trying. 

Hope is a powerful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment