Wednesday, December 26, 2012

5 weeks 4 days

It's the day after Christmas, and I must say, this has been the most exciting Christmas yet.

We spent Christmas Eve with my family. Since I only wanted to tell my parents right now (if my grandma finds out, the entire state of Louisiana would know within 20 minutes), it was difficult finding and time and place to do it. We eventually just had them open their gifts outside in the back of my 4-Runner. 

I had my video camera out and ready. I'd been filming off and on throughout the day to try to make it less suspicious when I was filming them. My niece was out there helping them open presents, and I was a little worried she'd catch on and say something but she's only 3 and was more worried about the paper and climbing back and forth across my back seat.

For the main event, I had wrapped up 2 onesies - a camo one for my dad and a "Worth the Wait" one for my mom. I made them open them at the same time. My dad did his usually "Ah ha ha!" and my mom screamed and jumped up and down. Then my dad came and hugged me and did something I've only seen him do a handful of times. He cried. 

Let me tell you a little about my dad. He's a manly man. Just earlier that day, he was skinning a deer he'd killed. Not feminine in the least and definitely not a crier. But when he does cry, I swear the man has got the girly-est cry I've ever heard. It's so funny. 

The rest of the day was great. Lots of family time. It's hard keeping it a secret, especially from my grandparents, whom we've already decided we're naming our first boy and girl after. But if all goes well, we'll only have to keep it from everyone for a few more weeks.

The next morning, Christmas Day, we drove to Jason's house. The weather was horrible, severe thunderstorms and bad lightning. I was terrified, but I knew how much we both wanted to tell his parents so we kept driving.

When we got there, I whipped out my video camera, although admittedly, it wasn't quite as inconspicuous. There wasn't a whole lot going on to mask my reason for the camera. Oh well.

We pulled his parents into the living room and gave the gift to his mom. We said it came in late and was funny and/or scary so we wanted to get their reaction. For them, we framed this picture I made of our pups, and wrapped it up with the "Worth the Wait" onesie. 


When mom-in-law opened it, well, let's just say she was excited. She threw her legs up in the air (she was sitting in a chair) and then got up and jumped around yelling. It was so funny. 

Jason's sister came in later and we showed her. She didn't really read the words at first, just saw the picture, so it took her a little bit to catch on. When she got it, she turned around real fast and said "Are you?!" I'm due about 4 months after her. Yippee!

I would love to post the videos, and I may eventually, but I think my dad and Jason's mom might kill me so we'll hold off on that for a while. 

I will say, no matter what happens, it was amazing being able to share this with the people we love the most, who've been there for us in the worst of times and can now rejoice with us in the best of times. God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment