Sunday, December 30, 2012

6 weeks 2 days

We had our 2nd ultrasound yesterday at apparently 6w1d. I've been thinking Saturdays were the start of a new week, but I guess I was wrong.

I was really nervous and afraid we wouldn't see anything. Nurse Bump, who has quickly become my favorite nurse, was working with Dr. V.

When he started the u/s, I could tell the sac had gotten bigger. A move of the wand and I saw the most beautiful little flicker of a heartbeat. Dr. V didn't comment on it, he just kept moving along, so that got me nervous. Jason later told me that he saw it too and looked to Melissa (Nurse Bump) for reassurance. She was smiling and slightly nodding so he knew it was good.

Dr. V continued along and pointed out the crown to rump growth, AKA the baby. It wasn't as clear as I was expecting so that got me nervous.

See a trend here? I've determined I'm never NOT going to be nervous.

At the end, he came back to the heartbeat to show us. He didn't measure the heartbeat or tell me how far along the baby was measuring, which I thought happened at 6 weeks, but I asked him if he should've been able to see more and he quickly said no and we were right on par.

He said normally they'd wait 2 weeks before bringing me in again, but... He hesitated so I jumped in and said that I'd be more than happy to come back sooner. He said he figured as much and he'd bring me in next week then if all looks good, 2 weeks from that, then I think I'd be released to my OB.

I'm still nervous, but I truly am trying to think more in terms of when we have this baby instead of if we have this baby. My body has failed me so much along this journey that I'm afraid it's going to fail me in this as well.

I do know one thing. This kid has an amazing dad. I told Jason last week that I almost bought him a dad's book, one that gives good info on pregnancy but is meant for guys and funny. He told me to buy it and send it to his Kindle. I thought he might have said that to appease me, maybe he'd read it eventually. Every single day he's coming to me saying "my book says that..." or "did you know that..." He knows more about some of this than I do!

I've read some women complaining that their husbands don't really get involved until later in the pregnancy. It's understandable as it's not as "real" for the men since they're not the ones growing a baby in their bellies.

I will say Jason is definitely already invested. When we were going through treatments, I think he felt a little helpless, clueless even. With this, I think he feels like he can actually do something and contribute so he's going all out. I'm not complaining. I knew he was wonderful when I married him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment